Skip to main content

A Bit of Writer's Block

I will be taking a break from doing this blog until January 2017. Lots of time being busy with work and life and after doing this almost weekly for three years and a dose of writer's block, I am going to take a break from new blogs during the holiday season.
I will return in January, but until then I will be reposting some older blogs.
Hopefully all of you, my readers, have a healthy and happy holiday season. See you in 2017.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five Loaves & Two Fish

Every now and then, God will press something important in my life. Some lesson, perhaps some healing. But, there is one place that God keeps bringing me back to during the last few years. I wander, sometimes God wants to show me something else that's important - but once done, he brings me back here. Where he is - is the passage John 6: 8-9. "Another of his disciples, Andrew, Simon Peter's brother, spoke up, 'Here is a boy with five small barley loaves and two small fish, but how far will they go among so many?" I have written about Andrew in the past and how I identify with him. He's a background character for the most part, included in the apostle roll call - but never usually front & center like Peter or Paul. Here in this passage is one of the few times Andrew takes a starring role in the story. We know this story because it is the miracle of Jesus feeding the five thousand. A story I have known backwards and forwards since I was a small child in ...

The Gospel according to Andrew

I am not much of a preacher. I'm definitely not talented enough to be a worship leader or play an instrument. I don't teach and don't consider myself an expert on the bible. Also, I am not super comfortable going up at church to receive or give prayer. When we get involved in a new church or become Christians, we can wonder how we can possibly fit in. Possibly we can feel that if we are not giving a sermon or leading a ministry, we may not have a real role. Or we can feel not qualified or that our "skill set" won't allow us to have any real role in ministry. There are some people who are more comfortable working behind the scenes than being in front of the group. I don't know as I struggle with that myself. I have a degree in accounting, a personality that takes time to warm up to others, and prefers to be quiet. I wondered at times where I might fit in. I do know that God blesses those who serve quietly, just as He does those that lead. One of my favori...

The Bad Samaritan Laws

Lately here in America, I have been reading online about different states trying to pass laws where people can deny service to others based on their deeply held religious beliefs. Such as, not agreeing to the gay lifestyle because of my Christian beliefs so I choose not to serve them. It is usually spouted by self-identified Christians protecting their "religious freedom". Now, if you own your own company and you feel in your beliefs a certain way, you can do what you want. You shouldn't be forced to go against your faith - let the market decide then. But, if you are a part of a national chain, then I have a problem with that. My biggest frustration is when people hide behind their faith to justify bad behavior towards others. There is a sense of persecution held by Christians here, that I don't see. Complaints about being wished "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas" Or gays getting married damaging their marriage somehow. Or, I don't ...